Monday, June 29, 2009

Scots pine # 5

Scots pine, Pinus sylvestris, collected in Austria in 2002, around 100 years old, 100 cm high.

firts image: April 2007
second image: October 2007
third image: July 2008
fourth image: Junly 2008
rest: June 2009

By now the pine looks much more mature. The sacrifice branch which was kept s insurance was cut off and jinned. The old needles were plucked, the crown slightly edited. This will be very good in a couple of years. The wire will have to go off in a couple of weeks. It starts to bite in.

A naturalistic bonsai must have many good fronts. A bunjin is a certain type of naturalistic style anyway and also must have many good sides. Pick your front.














2 comments:

a2khalid said...

I love this tree.. I don't think I have seen it before. What outstanding bark! The movement is amazing. I think this is a stunning example of bunjin... some people get way too technical and religious about what makes a bunjin... I don't think about it too much. To me it either is, or it isn`t. IMO this tree just screams excellent bunjin.

From the 2009 pics, I like 3, 5, and 9 fronts... many other good ones are possible... must have been hard to decide on a planting angle!

Christian said...

Very nice Walter! It is especially striking for me to see the needle size reduction from the first image to the rest.

Please keep posting these wonderful pictures showing development over time!

Christian