Tuesday, July 22, 2008

three new toys

In a trade I got these three trees which I am hapy about:

1) European olive, Olea Europea, the wild form from Mallorca, Spain. This is the variety with the tiny leaves. This tree is way over 100 years old.

2) Sabina juniper, Juniperus sabina, collected in Italy.

3) Common myrtle, Myrtus communis, a mediterranean plant from Italy.

All three are not material for regular bonsai styling. This is probably the reason why I got them in the first place. But they will make very interesting bonsai. I think I will start to work on them pretty soon.








4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Walter:
I always enjoy the quality of your photos. Having just purchased a Canon EOS 40D, I am interested in how you set up your shots, as I would like to start photographing my bonsai. What do you use for backdrop, lighting, etc?

Regards,
Mike

Walter Pall said...

Mike, the setting is straigt forward:

good digital camera body, very good lense, like 60/2.8 or 50/2.8
tripod (always!)
dark background far away from tree. like more than 10 feet, 3 meters.
apperture 8 to 13
shooting with A mode
correcting effect of dark background with correction -.7
using timer to not touch the camera while shooting
Sunshine from the side (better with some light clouds)
Opposite to the sun I have two large styrofoam bords to lighten up dark areas.
In photoshop lighten up dark areas.

That's it, you only have to do it. Leaving out one will not work.

greetings
Walter

AnEk said...

Hello Walter. The trees are, as always stunning, especially the olive stump is impressive. I also have a question for you. I've seen your post "olive collecting and preparation with Doug" on IBC and I wonder, can this tehnique be succsesfully used on a fat branch that was cut from the main trunk and left out of the ground ("on the air") for about a month and than put into training container? Are olive trees though enough to suffer something like this and still grow?

Thanks, A

Walter Pall said...

I don't think it will come back. But you can always try.

Walter