Wednesday, July 16, 2008

new mugo shines

This mugo pine, Pinus mugo, makes me very happy. See the images as of 1999 on the mountain, as Peeter Thali found it, right after collecting, and 2005 when I got it from Peter.
Lena took off the wire and plucked all old needles. Now the mugo is almost ready for exhibit for the first time. It looks vey unusual, certainly not like a cookie cutter bonsai, rather like a very old real pine tree in the mountains. Looking back at the old images I hardly can believe the change in only ten years.










4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very interesting tree, Mr. Pall. With rich and complicated structure, yet beautiful and pleasing to behold. Do you plan to exhibit the tree in this pot? Maybe I need some more time to get comfortable with it....

Best regards,
Rastislav

Walter Pall said...

I like the pot very much. It may well be exhibited in this pot. We have to vary pots much more than we used to do. There is a monoculture in ots.

Walter

Anonymous said...

I like the fact that you took a wild collected tree that looked like a "classic" bonsai and made it look like a wild tree! I don't meen that sarcastically, it is really quite easy to make a stereotypical bonsai... far less so to create a natural looking tree such as this. You inspire me in my bonsai to conform less to a stereotype and to use my own perception of natural beauty as a guide!

Regards,
Matt

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reply about the pot. My first impression was somehow confused; it complemented the tree well, but the shape immediately reminded me of a plastic kitchen bowl. But the more I return to the photos the more I start to like it. Yes. With some time, I guess I start to love the combination.

Btw. I love the patterns of foliage on the second-to-last photo. Feast for ones eyes.

If the dragon curve was not invented in 60ties, I'd say it's inspired by this tree.


Best regards,
Rastislav