Saturday, May 23, 2009

refurbishing of a shelf in my garden

My pergola with the original shelves is 20 years old now. It is built of redwood from America. That was marketed to stay in good shape for a lifetime. Well, it only lasted 20 years because of my humid climate. Many of the posts were outright rotten. Alex helped me to repair the major part today. As one can see it was quite a task. I used Siberian larch for a change, which is very expensive, but should really last for a lifetime in my climate.

Thank you very much Alex for you great help!

Afterwards we went to Alex' place to meet David there. See at Alex' place










4 comments:

Shaukat Islam said...

Walter,

I am really impressed that you (and Alex) have repaired the Pergola all on your own.

We cannot even think of taking such a massive task by ourselves, where I live..... and I sincerely appreciate this 'do it yourself' attitude of the westerners very much.

Did you face any problems with the measurements (or anything) while sawing of the new timber?

Shaukat

Walter Pall said...

Shaukat,

no prblems as you can see. We do hs often.
For us this is quite normal. I know that in some parts of the world it wuold be unthinkable that a person who owns a big collection, house and garden and travels the world wuuld himself do such a big task. Well, to be honest we do this to save a lot of money. If you want to pay for someone doing this you spend half a monts salary, meaning of a good salary. There are no small salaries here. You have to know that there is no such thing as cheop labor here. In America you have the illegal aliens on the Walmart corner and they would do this well for little money. Only in Europe you have to do such things yourself. I am not complaining. I think it is healthy.

WP

Walter Pall said...

For thgose who are not used to the European world: for the money that I save by doing this myself I could fly to America and back. No kidding.
If I do this with illegal labor it wold still cost half and I would risk a fine of 10,000 euro.

WP

Shaukat Islam said...

Walter,

Very interesting info you have provided.

Shaukat