Monday, May 16, 2011

Botanical Garden Munich 2011 #1

From Wednesday May 18 to Sunday, May 29 there will be a large exhibit of professional bonsai in the Bontanical Garden Munich, Germany. I was asked to bring 15 pieces. The other three professionals will mostly show imported trees. So I decided to only bring homemade, mostly collected trees. Of my lot most were never exhibited before. Normally there is always a better tree or they were not ready yet. So now is the opportunity to show them. Tomorrow is set-up. I will report.

Filed maple, Acer campestre


Olive tree, Olea europea

Silver birch, Betula pendula

European spruce, Picea abies

European spruce, Picea abies

Oriental hornbeam, Carpinus orientalis

European hornbeam, Carpinus betulus

Linden, Tilia platphyllos

European black pine, Pinus nigra


Mugo pine, Pinus mugo

Mugo pine,Pinus mugo

Ponderosa pine, Pinus ponderosa

European beech, Fagus sylvatica

European beech, Fagus sylvatica

Filed elm, Ulmus campestre

7 comments:

norfolk said...

Walter, what type of substrate is used as top-dressing. It looks very fine. Do you not use any moss when showing the trees? Is it more to do with aesthetics or personal preference? -This set of "home-made" trees rivals those imported from Japan in my opinion.

Thanks,
Brian -Norfolk, Va

Walter Pall said...

Brian,

moss is a must in formal Japanese shows. This comes from bonsai originally only exhibited in tokonoma, a sort of Buddhist huouse altar. Absolutely no dirt was allowed there. Therefore every soil must be covered with moss. Since I don't do Japnese bonsai I make it a point to not have moss on my trees. This is a statement.

Another reason is a practical one. Most are not aware that professionals do not breed moss, they breed trees. Moss is put onto the surface just before the show. This show will take ten days. The moss will become unsightly after two days and turn brown soon. So I don't take any. For aesthetics I use fine (2 mm) baked loam in a dark color which I just place onto the surface. It looks clean and nice in my eyes.

sew+mad said...

I like your trees, has been wanting to bonsai for a long time; yesterday I bought my first plant, hopefully and with proper care it'll work out!!!your's are beauties !!

John Pitt said...

The olive looks good in its new home Walter, I like this combination very much.
John.

Walter Pall said...

Oh sure. It looks like the John Pitt pot was custom made for it. Thanks.
WP

Judy said...

Yes indeed, all of your pots suit your trees so well. That is one of the things I most admire about your work. You seem to be able to match the trees so well, that it almost seems like they picked the pot themselves. I am so happy someone is a champion of natural trees. Cheers!

Zach said...

I am impressed, as always. Thank you for sharing these !