Tuesday, September 7, 2010

shohin display

I was asked to provide 15 to 20 shohin for an upcoming shohin exhibit in Bavaria, Germany. They just wanted the trees with stands. Now how many small stands does one have? Anyway, since quite a while I was contemplating the possibility to show shohin in a modern way. I am just not smart enough for these rules and regulations that one reads about exhibiting shohin. And I don't have the tables nor scrolls. But I think I have a feeling how I would exhibit small artifacts in general without any reference to bonsai tadition. So I had a couple dozen of these acrylic blocks made. They are very well done, look professional and are water proof.

These are my first tries. One set for broadleaved trees and the other one for conifers. I am sure traditionalists will tear me to pieces. Well, this is my first try and I possibly will improve this. But I will certainly not change it to traditional.

The conifer one does not please me really, while I like the broadleaved one. So we will have to try a bit more.