Sunday, November 13, 2011

improvement

For a day I thought that this hornbeam should now be presented at Noelanders Trophy in January and at Shun Ten in Germany in March. But at second thought I decided to improve it still.
The enemy of the good is the better. Satisfaction is the end of progress.
The ugly wires wills stay on probably until April 2013. Then the tree will be ready.
Whoever does bonsai for very serious will always have a collection with ugly work in progress.
The end result counts.
Philosophically this is a main difference between Eastern and Western thinking. In the East the process it the most important. Ugliness is never ever accepted.
In the West only the result counts. It does not matter really how ugly it is until then. At least I am quite happy with this notion.
The function of wire is not to be beautiful.






9 comments:

joyce matula welch said...

I like what you said about the enemy of the good is the better, and that every collection will have ugly work in progress. Though I do not do what you do, but am an artist, your words spoke to me about the creative process. Thanks Walter, I really enjoy your blog.

Marc said...

Seeing this tree, makes me want to sit underneath it and to relax on a nice autumn day.

Anonymous said...

one more beautiful of your trees, by the way what kind of substrate is this you use?

Walter Pall said...

Standard substrate, like for all trees. I does not matter what exactyl it is.

wheatgerm said...

that is one awesome tree!

Adam said...

Interesting, because the look of this tree with all the guy wires reminds me of the look of the very old cherry blossom trees in Japan, with all sorts of wooden structures built for the old branches to rest upon (only your intervention intends the opposite effect).

alfredo espino said...

Walter!

I definetely agree with you. I only wish I had the time. THis tree is a beauty. Thanks for sharing.

Grüsse aus El Salvador!

Houston said...

You have definitely succeeded at making your bonsai look like trees in nature! I would like to know more about your technique of using guy wires. How do you attach the guy wires to pull the branches down without damaging the bark?
In my experience, the guy wires cut into the bark very badly unless I use some soft rubber padding (aquarium tubing works well).

Walter Pall said...

Houston, I wonder what you are doing. I use thousands of guy wires without protection and have no problems.