Tuesday, September 13, 2011

cutting azaleas

As much as I like the full branches with small flowers in May/June, at one point the branches are overgrown. In my classes I lecture that this is the time to take a hedge pruner and cut ruthlessly. As you can see I do what I preach. And see the result two months later. I did this in July and so the tree might not flower next year. I should have done it in June right after flowering.
Anyway, whoever has seen me cutting this tree thought that I am mad and have ruined it. Most amateurs are way too timid when it comes to pruning their azaleas. As as consequence one sees quite overgrown azaleas everywhere.







5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice live fence!

tmmason10 said...

Agreed with people being a little timid, I'll try to take your advice and not be next year. Are you coming to NE US this year?

Walter Pall said...

Harrisburg, Pa from March 10 to April 1.

Justin said...

I am worried about my azalea. It is 'under-grown' (not thick enough). What should I do about that? I pulled off all of the flower buds this spring and did not allow flowers to bloom. Then I noticed more green leaves on the tree this summer, but still it is very see through. By the way, it is a multi trunk azalea 4 years in training. The tree came from a nursery before that. I am going to say five years in the nursery. The tree is now 16 inches tall. Can you give me any advice?

Walter Pall said...

Justin,
treat azaleas just like any other tree to develop. Let grow strongly for a while in spring without cutting back new growth. Then in the middle of summer cut back ruthlessly as shown here. Don't care about blossoms at this stage.