Wednesday, November 10, 2010

oriental hornbeam #2

The first image is by end of March of this year. So there is seven months between the first and last image. This amazing. Next year by the end of summer this hornbeam will be show ready. The tree was NEVER styled before March of this year. It was collected like this two years ago and left alone since.
It is an oriental hornbeam, Carpinus orientalis. This is the greatest discovery as species usable for bonsai in the past ten years. These trees are hardy in central and northern Europe! Just in case you want one, I have a whole bunch in all sizes.



8 comments:

Bollesz said...

This is really amazing development Walter!

Jerry said...

I bought two what I thought were Korean Hornbeam this year and chopped all the branches off one. It simply grew them all back in a matter of weeks - I wonder if I have Orientalis.

How can I tell?

Anonymous said...

Walter,

Perhaps a beginner question:

In the picture where you are holding the saw to the rootball, are you simply slicing of the lower portion? is this a common method for helping an established (not recently collected) tree in a nursery-like pot fit in a more shallow, horizontal pot?

Walter Pall said...

Yes, I am slicing th lower portion. This is not a common method, but it is very effective and vey simple.

Anonymous said...

Walter,

I have a quick question about your technique here. I notice that often you use a ring around the trunk, and tie or fix branches to that ring. I can see that it helps give you a great radial center. However, I can't seem to figure out how you do this without damaging the tree bark? How do you fix the ring to the base of the trunk?

Thank you

Walter Pall said...

The bark gets no damage with this kind of tree and the way I apply it. There is absolutely no need for protection.
WP

Anonymous said...

Can you explain how you keep it down? pulling the branches down would pull the ring up if it weren't fixed. How do you fix it to the trunk?

Walter Pall said...

Can you not see the muscular surface of the trubnk. It is VERY easy to appyl a wire which will not be pulled up.