Saturday, June 14, 2008

Shinpaku refurbishing

This shinpaku (it is NOT shiMpaku!) I got in a trade. It looks fine, but it looks like a many thousand similar ones. This is a standard form and in my eyes way too sterotype. There is way too much green for the thin trunk. The plain trunk is boring and appears youngish. The whole thing sells well in bonsai shps because this is what many people want because it looks so 'Japanese'. I think it is decent craft and good enough to take in a trade.
So I worked on it for an hour. I think it is much more unique now and will also sell well. This goes to offers. I don't want 'Japanese looking' trees in my collection.









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Walter,

Technically there isn't a 'right' or 'wrong' way to spell romanized Japanese words - just ways which are more similar to the correct pronunciation. The only 'right' way to spell it is using Japanese text (kana). In the case of shinpaku, the pronunciation is probably something in between shiNpaku and shiMpaku, so either way can be interpreted as ok. This happens alot when using romanized Japanese, i.e. you will often find different spellings of 'good evening' in romanized Japanese textbooks i.e. koNbanwa vs. koMbanwa. Neither is wrong, it just demonstrates the limitations of using our alphabet to write Japanese.

Anyways, the work must have been fun. I agree it looks like a misfit compared to most 'Walter' trees :)

Rozman Nik said...

Hi, Walter!

I think there is steel too much foilage. I woul dleav e a half of what you have now.

Walter Pall said...

Sure I could take off a lot more and make a fine literati. The problem is that the general crowd is not willing to pay much for a tree which has little foliage. The tree will be more valubale in terms of commercial value the way it is. The majority of buyers are ignorants and one has to cope with this.
If there is one in between who knows the differece he will still buy it and take off the foliage himself.
And then if I built a standard literati it would be a cookie cutter bonsai again.

Such is life if one tries to sell trees.

Walter