Wednesday, April 13, 2011

new front for white pine

The tree was rotated one hour against counter clockwise. It was by no means easy. Now I understand why it was not in that position from the outset. I had to do major surgery. I would have liked to do more rotation, but did not dare to. If I had changed the pot altogether it would certainly have been possible though. But it will most probably not be harmful. At this occasion I also got rid of most of the akadama which I feel is dangerous when trees are freezing in winter.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What did you replace akadama with?

Walter Pall said...

Hard baked loam, the ordinary cheap stuff.
It is much better than akadama because it will enver decomnpose and create mud where air and water cannot go through. And in winter, when the trees freeze often, it will stay as is and not become wet loam again like akadama.

Michael said...

Didn't you put the tree in your greenhouse for the winter? How cold do you let your greenhouse get?

Walter Pall said...

Japanese white pines come from very cold areas. They have no problem with our winter. I left the tree outside all winter. Temperatures this winter were down to minus 17 Celsius. This is OK for this species.