Tuesday, June 19, 2007

new trident maple - part 1

This trident maple (Acer burgerianum) was part of a trade. It looks very healthy, has not a single hole in the trunk and the pot by Peter Krebs is fabulous. At the moment the crown looks like an umbrella. This tree will look a lot better without foliage. I wonder about cutting off the thick branch right in front.It would open the view into the crown. I am sure the former owner has often thought about this too. But I believe he did not do it because the tree otherwise has not a single hole, as so many other trident maples have. Well, I kind of like interesting holes on deciduous trees. I know exactly that these are considered second rate in Japan. But we are not in Japan and I do not consider holes bad as long as they look natural. Very often they can make an otherwise boring tree interesting. I think this is a boring trident maple. While it could win awards for being 'perfect' it does not turn me on, I don't want to sleep with him. I would not give him high points. So let's think about mutilating the tree to make it more sexy. No joke, btw. Or I wait for the fool who wants the immaculate trident maple and pays accordingly.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How much do you want for it? Seriously.

Walter Pall said...

This tree has a price tag of Euro 2,850, which is US$ 3,900. Or in trade raw material for that sort of value.
Such is the bonsai market.
This tree is bigger ttan you might think. It is 60 cm high.

Anonymous said...

Hi Walter. Can you please do a line drawing over the "front" of what you are referring to when you are discussing the mutilation of the trunk? I think you would be thinking of removing the front branch and then hollowing the hole as well as bringing the scar slightly down the front - but I am curious as to what you have in mind.

Thanks! Rich List

200xth said...

In case you want to see any updates on the tree(s) above since this blog entry, here are the links to each tree(s):

1) Trident Maple #3